Action African Well Women's Clinic
A free self-referral service for all women with female circumcision. A service run by women for women. We are based in Acton, West London and provide a deinfibulations service under local anaesthetic in a GP surgery or referral to a local hospital if spinal or general anaesthesia is preferred.
For further information please contact:
Specialist Midwife - Juliet Albert 07730 970 738 or 0208 383 8712
Specialist Interpreter - Hayat Arteh 07956001 065 or 0208 383 8761 (Somali and Arabic speaking)
Specialist Counsellor - Melanie Mendel 07917897550
African Woman's Clinic
The African Women’s clinic at the UCL hospital is a specialist service for pregnant & non- pregnant women who are experiencing health problems as a result of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). This service is run exclusively by female staff to provide care in a culturally sensitive and non-judgmental environment. You can refer yourself or be referred by your GP or other health care professionals.
The FGM service offers:
• A consultation & procedure clinic at the hospital
• Assessment for pregnant women before childbirth
• Assessment for non-pregnant women
• Choice of local or general anaesthesia
• ‘One Stop’ clinic where patients can be assessed and have the procedure for reversal at the same
appointment if they wish
• Advocacy service
• Referral to other services if indicated
• Collection of clinical information to improve knowledge on the effects of FGM.
To make an appointment, please send all referrals to:
Miss Sarah Creighton
African Women’s Clinic
OPD Clinic 3
235, Euston Road
London NW1 2BU
Fax: 020 7691 5861
For self referrals or further details, please contact:
Maligaye Bikoo, Clinical Nurse Specialist on 08451 555 000 ext 2531
or via e-mail at:
Please note: More UK references will be added to this section in due course.